What is Anxiety? Anxiety is often described casually, but as anyone who suffers from it can tell you, it can be downright debilitating. Even if we “know better” than to worry about something on a mental level, on an emotional level, anxiety seems like quite an uncontrollable experience. That’s because it’s designed to protect us.
Anxiety is part of our natural survival mechanism. Also known as the stress response, it’s our body’s way of warning us about a potential threat. It puts us on alert and makes us vigilant, hence the paralysis, racing heart, and sleepless nights that often accompany it. And sustaining this stress state for long periods of time has serious impacts not only on our health but our ability to fully engage with and enjoy life.
The Sanctuary’s holistic anxiety treatment program doesn’t take anxiety lightly. In fact, we see it as a surface-level symptom of an even deeper problem. We help you solve this by:
- Creating a safe environment that lets you relax into the healing process
- Treating anxiety symptoms holistically
- Releasing any stress that’s physically stuck in the body
- Supporting your recovery with an anti-inflammatory, brain-healthy diet
- Finding and addressing the causes of your anxiety
- Helping you avoid unwanted coping mechanisms
Our non-12 Step treatment for anxiety involves a healing journey that will transform your relationship to life.
Anxiety can show up in a number of ways, including:
- Racing heart
- Shortness of breath
- Muscle tension and pain
- Hypervigilance – always feeling on alert
- Attention problems
- Stomach issues
- Weakness and fatigue
At its core, anxiety is essentially an excessive worry that’s disproportionate to what will actually happen. Part of what makes it so debilitating is that it can cause you to avoid the people, places or activities that tend to trigger it.