Can You Fully Heal Long-term Trauma?
According to mainstream treatment philosophy, trauma never fully goes away. The best we can hope for in this scenario is managing its symptoms.
But we think differently. In our non-12-Step, holistic paradigm, trauma can be completely healed – and we’ve seen this come true for countless people who have been through our program. We’re here to help you unravel the stories you’ve created around your trauma that keep you stuck in unhealthy thought patterns, behaviors, and relationships.
Instead of constantly feeling unsafe, you’ll gain the freedom to fully express yourself in the world. In this empowered state, you’re able to embark on your life’s work and realize your dreams.
How Long Does Treatment Take?
The Sanctuary at Sedona’s integrative trauma treatment program takes a total of 90 days. This starts with 30 days of residential treatment and is followed by 60 days of hands-on continuing care. During this time, you will:
- Receive detailed assessments to determine the extent of your trauma and pinpoint areas of concern
- Begin to feel safe, secure, and accepted in our warm and loving environment
- Establish meaningful relationships with your peers and members of your treatment team
- Identify core themes and disempowering beliefs you’ve developed over time
- Recognize the coping strategies you use to help yourself feel better
- Get clear on what your specific needs are
- Be able to name and discuss your emotions
- Release trauma that’s stored in the memory of your nervous system
- Learn how to better care for your body, brain, and energetic field
This process may at times bring up uncomfortable emotions, which you’ll be able to release in daily group and individual counseling sessions. You may also relieve any stress you experience with relaxing therapies like massage, yoga, and connecting with nature.
As a whole, this process gives you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work through the discomfort in new ways, changing patterns you may have been holding onto for a very long time. And you’ll be in a safe space to do exactly that, surrounded by people who are dedicated to facilitating your unique journey.
What Will Trauma Survivors Take Away From Treatment?
While in treatment, you’ll undo the conditioning that has kept you feeling unsafe. You’ll walk away with skills and outcomes like:
- A fundamental shift in your perspective
- Dealing with triggers in a healthy and effective way
- Feeling less triggered, because your internal narrative has changed
- Forgiving and accepting yourself
- Restoring parts of you that have fled due to trauma
- Embracing positive aspects of yourself
- Transforming your wounds into sources of strength
- Reclaiming your inner wisdom and fearlessness
- Getting back into your body
- Feeling like yourself again
- Beginning to see your bigger picture
With your therapists, you’ll develop new strategies that help you feel more capable and confident when it comes to dealing with life’s challenges. And while those challenges will undoubtedly arise, in our definition of success:
- They’ll show up less frequently
- You will experience them less intensely when they do,
- And you’ll move through them more quickly.
This process doesn’t only heal you but also has a generational impact in your family – both for those who came before you and for those who will come after you.
Can You Continue Trauma Treatment at Home?
At The Sanctuary, you’ll continue your progress after you return home, as a central and integrated part of trauma treatment. During our eight-week continuing care program, you’ll continue meeting with a member of your treatment team one-on-one, every week. You’ll also attend weekly group calls where you’ll get to stay in touch with the friends you made in treatment and continue working together.
This program builds upon the material you worked through at The Sanctuary. It begins by making sure your basic needs are met and your support system is solidly in place. You’ll review the awareness tools you gleaned during your time in treatment, and then get into action around them to incorporate your transformation into your daily life. And throughout the process, we’ll pay special attention to anything that still needs to be a focus.
Ultimately, you’ll hone in on what fuels and excites you. You get to be creative about designing your own life! We’ll connect you with resources that are helpful specifically to you. And as you learn to navigate your life from your new, empowered stance, we’ll be here to help you along the way.