How to Treat PTSD
Standard PTSD treatments focus on symptom management or learning skills that can help you cope with the impact trauma has had on your life. Modern clinicians provide numerous treatment options for helping clients address post-traumatic stress disorder. Here are just a few interventions that have helped many people find relief from their PTSD symptoms:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): This therapeutic modality focuses on the relationship between thoughts and feelings and subsequent behaviors. It targets current symptoms and problems and seeks to help clients change negative patterns that make it difficult to function.
- Prolonged exposure: This type of CBT helps clients gradually approach the memories and feelings surrounding past trauma and face what’s been avoided. The goal is to help individuals learn that trauma-related memories and cues are not dangerous.
- EMDR for PTSD: Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy encourages clients to briefly focus on past trauma while also engaging in bilateral stimulation, such as using their eyes to track the clinician’s hand. This technique can potentially reduce the vividness and emotion associated with traumatic memories.
- Medications: Antidepressant medications are often prescribed to those with PTSD.
- Ketamine for PTSD: There is growing evidence that ketamine may be more effective than standard medications at easing PTSD symptoms. It can have a positive impact on trauma-related memories and physical symptoms. Ketamine can also be used with talk therapy to help clients speak about trauma or release blocked emotions.
Most people receive PTSD treatment in an outpatient setting, such as from a licensed therapist. However, at The Sanctuary, we offer residential PTSD rehab, which allows our clients to heal from past trauma in an environment of care and safety. Our holistic approach to PTSD treatment blends the best of modern, science-based techniques with alternative treatment modalities.
Other Treatment Options: Holistic Alternative Non-12 Step Treatment for Trauma and PTSD
At The Sanctuary, we believe there is a different way to address the emotional, spiritual and physical pain associated with post-traumatic stress disorder. We take an integrative approach that sees you as a whole person — body, mind, soul and spirit. While we may utilize some of the science-based treatment options outlined above, our non-12 Step treatment program for PTSD is more holistic. That means:
- We look at the complete picture of your health and well-being: Trauma affects more than the mind — other parts of yourself also feel its impact. We place equal importance on the clinical, scientific, physical, energetic and nutritional aspects of trauma recovery, leaving no part ignored.
- Our program is integrative: Each component of our integrative programs comes together to create an organized and powerful experience that guides you through all stages of healing.
- Our team has intimate knowledge of holistic perspectives: Our licensed clinicians are able to integrate these perspectives into your treatment program. This ensures your experience is highly coordinated, with all parts of your recovery journey incorporated.
Why do we take a holistic, non-12 Step approach to PTSD treatment? Trauma tends to bury itself deep. While trauma does impact our mind, it also goes beyond that. It can be remembered in both conscious and subconscious ways.
- Body: Our body remembers trauma — past traumatic events leave physical imprints on our cells.
- Mind: Our thoughts surrounding a traumatic experience are often disempowering. We hold on to these false beliefs, and they continue to build over time.
- Soul: When you experience trauma, you disconnect from the parts of yourself that used to feel joy, love and belonging. You experience a soul-loss.
- Spirit: Our spirit, or electromagnetic energy field, affects our nervous system. When trauma disrupts our electromagnetic energy field, it ultimately puts us in a state of hypervigilance.
Our holistic treatment for PTSD addresses all parts of your being impacted by trauma with therapeutic modalities that are both conventional and alternative. This complete picture approach allows you to heal from the inside out and create a powerful life change.
When Standard Treatment Does Not Work: How to Move Forward With Alternative Holistic Treatment for PTSD
Conventional PTSD treatment places emphasis on symptom management — but we go beyond that. Rather than mitigating behaviors that keep you feeling stuck, we get underneath it all. The root of trauma lives in this deeper place. When we confront our trauma in that space, we can release it from our being and create a life truly free from it.
Here’s an idea of what the healing process at The Sanctuary looks like:
We begin by calming down your nervous system. Our serene Sedona landscapes, comfortable living spaces, talk therapies, daily mindfulness practice, organic superfoods program and more help with the calming process. Once you’re brought out of a heightened state and are fully relaxed, we can start to get to work.
Our program guides you through four distinct, powerful stages of healing:
- Identify disempowering beliefs and trauma that you’re holding onto, plus the coping strategies you’ve used to feel better.
- Shed light on parts of yourself that have been hidden from your view.
- Recover positive parts of yourself that you’ve lost along the way, and empower yourself to envision a new future.
- Implement what you’ve learned with us to create powerful changes and live out your life’s purpose.
We take you from one stage of the healing journey to the next at a pace you’re comfortable with. We want to make sure that you’re absorbing important information without feeling overwhelmed.