Many individuals benefit from inner child therapy, including people with substance use disorder. Often, one or more situations from someone’s childhood plays a role in the development of a person’s addiction. Your inner child is the inner or true self — that is, the one you may have hidden away due to external negative experiences during childhood. Ready to start healing? Call us at (866) 750-0763 today.
What Are the Benefits of Inner Child Therapy?
Inner child work offers many benefits for people from all walks of life, including those with substance use disorders. Several of these advantages include:
- Increasing self-awareness.
- Understanding the effect past events and trauma have on present substance misuse behaviors.
- Reconnecting with your talents, passions or dreams that you ignored while using substances.
- Improving current coping mechanisms.
- Increasing emotional understanding and regulation.
- Enhancing self-esteem and self-compassion.
Honoring your inner child is a useful holistic approach often used as part of larger treatment plans for addiction and substance misuse.