But depression is more than just a case of the blues. Depression is when the feeling of sadness or despair doesn’t go away and when that feeling noticeably starts to affect your daily life – from your work to your sleep, to your free time, and everything in between.
If you feel depressed most of the time during the week or if the activities you like doing aren’t fun for you anymore, you might be suffering from depression.
Depression looks like a lot of different things for different people. Some of its signs include:
- Trouble sleeping, or sleeping too much
- Sleepiness or lack of energy even after getting enough rest
- Not eating enough or overeating
- Trouble concentrating or making decisions
- Feeling worthless or guilty even when you haven’t done anything wrong
- Feeling physically and mentally restless and agitated, or feeling very sluggish
- Thinking about death or wanting to be dead
Depression has been called many things – a brain disease, a mental health issue, a disorder. At The Sanctuary we believe that depression is actually a symptom, not the cause or source, of something deeper.
The Sanctuary’s holistic depression treatment center is a safe, welcoming space for people from all different religious and cultural backgrounds. We’re here to help guide you as you unearth your deepest traumas and rediscover your truest self.
Depression is real. And so too is recovery from depression.